- About Us
- CARDI Grants Programme
- Research database and directory
- Useful Links
The Role of Migrant Care Workers in Ageing Societies: Context and Experiences in Ireland
Publisher:The Irish Centre for Social Gerontology
Date published:25 September, 2009
Region:Republic of Ireland
Featured item on home page:
This report explores the role and potential of migrant care workers in caring for older people in Ireland. The proportion of migrant carers caring for Irish older people has increased over recent years, reflecting a broader global trend in care worker migration and thus, a highly competitive global market for migrant carers.
However, there has been relatively little effort to understand the implications of these cultural changes in our care workforce. Such a gap in current knowledge means that there are questions around the demand for migrant carers in older adult care, the impact of the current economic decline on future demand, the experiences of migrant carers caring for older people and the impact of employing migrant carers on the well-being of older people. Without an understanding of the various factors that can influence the sustainability of the migrant care workforce in Ireland, our ability to identify and address regulatory and practice issues in the sector and our capacity for workforce policy and planning may be fundamentally undermined.
- Migrant Care Workers in Ireland: Main Findings and Policy Implications of a Qualitative Study
- The different faces of care work: understanding the experiences of the multi-cultural care workforce
- Ageing New Zealand: The Growing Reliance on Migrant Caregivers
- ‘The Role of Migrant Health and Social Care Workers in Ageing Societies’
- The History of migrant doctors and other migrant health workers in the NHS: defining a research agenda?
- 'The Role of Migrant Health and Social Care Workers in Ageing Societies'
- 'What the future holds: Older People as Carers for sons and daughters with Disabilities'
- Help Wanted? Providing and Paying for Long-Term Care OECD
- Costs and Consequences for the Carers of People with Dementia in Ireland
- Launch of 2010 Northern Ireland Life and Times Survey results