- About Us
- CARDI Grants Programme
- Research database and directory
- Useful Links
Exploring Nursing Expertise in Residential Care for Older People in Ireland
Publisher:Nursing Homes Ireland
Date published:28 February, 2013
Region:Republic of Ireland
Featured item on home page:
Nursing Homes Ireland is pleased to partner with the All Ireland Gerontological Nurses Association (AIGNA), UCD and University of Ulster in this research. As in most other nations, life expectancy in Ireland has been increasing steadily in recent decades.
This is a very welcome development for society and reflects improvements in quality of life, healthcare and treatment of conditions. Coupled with the changes in demography are increased challenges in the provision of health and social care services, particularly residential care. Census 2011 confirms the continuing trend of numbers growing older and living longer, revealing the population aged 65+ increased a significant 14.4% over the preceding five year period, and numbers residing in nursing homes grew 21.8%, from 21,553 to 26,265.
The results of this study can play a lead role in informing and educating key stakeholders and wider society as to the role of nursing expertise in residential care. As the research advises, “this study illuminates the ordinary, the invisible and taken for granted expertise inherent in the practice wisdom of nursing in residential care”.
Read more here.
- Significant amendment to Health Act 2007 of serious concern to NHI & AIGNA
- Residential care home workforce development: the rhetoric and reality of meeting older residents’ future care needs
- The role and contribution of the registered nurse in residential care settings for older people in Ireland: A national study
- The provision of palliative care in nursing homes and residential care homes: a survey of clinical nurse specialist work
- A Census-based longitudinal study of variations in survival amongst residents of nursing and residential homes in NI
- CARDI report reiterates NHI call for Government to plan now to meet growing demand for long-term residential care
- NHI calls on public to honour outstanding care in nursing homes
- Palliative care in Irish nursing homes: the work of community clinical nurse specialists
- Significant implications for acute hospital services if Fair Deal fails to move beyond short-term budgetary concerns
- Dependency in older people recently admitted to care homes